Monday, December 27, 2010

Bottles, Bottles, and Some Cans

Oh, the Bottle Drive. Seems to be the most popular form of fundraising. The concept is very simple collect bottles and cans, sort them, and return to bottle depot for cash. I always forget how disgusting the smell of beer cans can be in such a confined space, ie my truck. Oh well, the smell doesnt last long and its all for a good cause.

I have been granted permission by my building council to collect the bottles and cans from the recycling in my parkade. The recycling bin is for mixed containers but you would be surprised on what some people put in there. Oddly, there is quite a bit of garbage placed in these bins which are located right beside the garbage bins. Just shows how lazy some people are. I'd like to think I am improving the recycling program in my building by sorting the recycling and making sure the containers in there are actually recycable and placing the garbage in the correct bins.

Today, I also collected bottles from my neighborhood in Surrey. I placed posters on the mail box about a week in advance notifying my neighbors that I would be collecting this afternoon and that if they had any to please leave them out and I would pick them up or call/email me if they prefered me to pick up on a different day. So this afternoon in a slight drizzle, my mom and I, me pulling a little red wagon, walked around our neighborhood collecting bottles and cans. On house had so many boxes I had to phone home to get my dad to bring the truck over to load up since my wagon would not be able to carry all the boxes.

Overall, I'd say it was a very positve fundraising day. Thank you to all my neighbors that have supported me. 

Remember, Fundraiser Night is January 18 at Dublin Crossing. Tickets are only $15.

Happy Holidays,

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment