Friday, December 3, 2010

The Big Decision

So I was on a road trip with the soccer team in Portland, Oregon when I discovered a friend was doing a ride through Europe to raise money to fight poverty. I immediately was interested. I have been trying to plan a trip somewhere off this continent for some time now and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do some traveling and raise money for a good cause all at the same time. This ride is organized by Global Agents for Change, an orgranization oddly enough started by SFU students. After going through their website www.globalafc.org I decided to get in touch with the ride coordinator, Jake Moir. We set up a meeting for when I was back in the same country and since that meeting I have been hooked on planning, organizing, and fund raising for this ride.

I will only be participating in the half tour which starts June 19 and ends July 24. I will travel from Amsterdam to Budapest in 4.5 short weeks covering 2000 km on my bicycle (which I have yet to acquire).

I have set my own personal goal of raising $2500 for the Micro Technology Institute and Social Venture Incubator. To keep it short and sweet, the money raised will fight global poverty by turning knowledge and potential into concrete social ventures and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment