Friday, June 24, 2011

Holland in Review

My first taste of Europe was in holland and I am not sure if any other European country can to that. The first two nights with the groupbwere spent camping, doing orientation and getting to meet all the other riders whom I'll be spending the next 4.5 weeks with. I have to admit I love all of them and we are only a couple days into the ride. 15 canadians and 2 americans. We are such a diverse group of people so bit only will I learn a tom from travelling but also from within this group.

The first day of riding was only 45 km but a majority of it was into a very strong headwind. We left around 11 in the morning and arrived in utrect at around 3 pm. Our accomadation for that night was in a ladies home that I contacted through couch surfing. She lived right in re downtown area along a canal. She prepared dinner for us with the help of a few or her friends, one of whom was a chef. 95% of the food was attained by dumpster diving whichbis why she was able to cook us such a large dinner. There was nothing wrong with the food but stores waste so much becuase the package is dirty or dented or other various reasons. Long story short dinner was delicoius as was brekkie. After dinner we wereanle to use wifi, I went canoeing on then canal, and then we had wine along the canal by a camp fire. The perfect night.

The next daybwe rode 55km to Waginegen. Here we stayed in a student housing compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment